Re: WNPP Update Package source source of gjiten

>>> [Andrey]
>>> Actually, even providing a source package for a one-time upload requires
>>> that. Becoming a maintainer requires more, and is not a one-time action.
>>
>> And so my hopes of ever getting the new source in place drop away. 😅💦💦
>
> Well, this is a 100% volunteer project, but the good thing is that everyone can
> volunteer and contribute. Debian is a do-ocracy [1], so if you really want that
> new version so hard that you need to use tear emojis, your best bet is to get
> involved yourself. [2]
>
> [1] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debmake-doc/ch02.en.html#social
> [2] or pay somone, eg a freelancer, to do the work for you.

As a newbie maintainer of another Debian package, while Chris is right that the initial upfront time investment was daunting, the review process of getting my package into Debian surfaced many packaging issues (not with my Debian changes, but with the underlying upstream). The buildd testing further surfaced portability issues and build system issues I was previously unaware of. While the packaging can seem like a lot of work, it has a significant pay off both for upstream and downstream IME.