Re: New package: ITP or RFP ?

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 05:15:05PM +0300, Ramūnas Keliuotis wrote:
> 1. Is it ok for source code to be in Github? or do I need a Salsa account?
It is OK for the source code to not have a VCS at all. It's also OK for
the packaging to not have a VCS at all, and these are two separate
questions, and packaging is usually stored in a separate VCS, usually on
salsa, because usually the maintainer is not the same as the upstream.

> 2. Do I need to create a source package? *.dsc
Yes.

> 3. How to implement build /scripts?
Ideally your software should have them before you start working on the
packaging, because ideally your software should be buildable by anyone who
downloads its source. The packaging just does the same in a more
controlled environment.

> Now we are using bash scripts and preconfigured docker containers.
> But dh scripts should be used, so, how to start using them?
dh should just call the upstream build system. If you are not using any
popular build system that dh can call you will need to write the necessary
commands in debian/rules manually. It's also quite likely that those "bash
scripts" are not suitable for this, in which case you will need to fix
them and/or switch to a proper build system.

> 5. Also, we are using OpenVPN - building from C code,
> but this package is long ago open source, so, assume it should be
> easy to package.
openvpn is of course already packaged.

> Would be good to get reference to sample package - observe its build
> configuration.
You can look at any source package in Debian unless you need more specific
examples.