Re: thanks for all the fish

Quoting Ross Gammon (2020-08-24 19:09:07)
> Hi Jonas,
>
> I am replying to both you and the list in case you have already
> unsubscribed to the list.
>
> That is a real shame!
>
> On 24/08/2020 12:47, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > I clearly missed the memo that the Debian multimedia team had become
> > the salsa multimedia team, embracing the salsa bugtracker and
> > concerned about loss of salsa-specific chatter.
> >

> I wasn't aware of any team policy with respect to Merge Requests, and
> Salsa Issues. And I just checked our packaging wiki page to be sure. I
> have to admit that I had not until recently had any objection to also
> using MRs and Issues in parallel with the BTS and patches.

I was criticized for not "asking first" before "changing" procedures,
and noone commented on that.

Silence speaks as well.

> I normally look in both places before an upload. Having said that, I
> did upload a package recently only to discover an MR with the exact
> same QA commits already doing what I had just done manually! In theory
> I suppose it is also possible to forget to check the BTS (thinking I
> checked there one week ago, and there won't be anything new).
>
> I think people should be a bit more tolerant when we are all
> volunteers.

Not sure who you mean should be more tolerant.

I find it important to use _one_ issue tracker and that is debbugs.

I am not tolerant about using other issuer trackers instead.  I don't
mind about using other issue trackers _also_ if it is pure _duplication,
but the concern raised when I disabled the salsa tracker for ffmpeg is
an indication that data is _not_ duplicated: I am _not_ tolerant about
accumulating data _outside_ of general Debian issue tracker.

That, and the lack of comments from others in the team, but comments in
the very salsa issue tracker that I do not tolerate having data not
duplicated in "proper" Debian, are the reasons I chose to leave the
team.

> > Don't worry - I am still in Debian and continue to collaborate
> > there, with any and all of you interested in that.  If you think
> > some of the packages I left behind is better maintained with my
> > involvement than without it, then do tell and let's look at it
> > together, collaboratively.
>
> I am sure you will be welcomed back if you get the itch to help out
> again in the future.

I am sure I am welcome _now_ even.

Point is, I am not being kicked out, I am leaving on my own.

 - Jonas