Re: Orphaning some of my packages

Hi,

2012/9/21 Hendrik Tews <tews@os.inf.tu-dresden.de>:
> Sylvain Le Gall <sylvain@le-gall.net> writes:
>
>    Here is the list of packages that have no other uploaders
>    after this operation:
>
>    * ocamlp3l
>
> I can find camlp3l and ocamlp3l, but no Debian package of that
> name. Where is this?

In the git repository only, I suppose. I just went through my "git
checkout"ed packages, so maybe it has never been released.

> Sylvain, for the orphaned packages, could you comment on which
> are actively maintained upstream?

This is only IMHO, as a matter of fact an OCaml package that has not
been updated for years doesn't mean it is orphaned upstream:

Active upstream with releases:
* camomile
* ocaml-extunix
* ocaml-sqlexpr
* ounit
* sexplib310
* uuidm

Active upstream without many releases:
* ocaml-benchmark
* atdgen
* biniou
* caml2html
* camlmix
* cppo
* easy-format
* mikmatch
* ocaml-atd
* ocamlgsl

Inactive or MIA upstream:
* ocaml-deriving
* ocaml-dbus
* ocaml-inifiles
* ocaml-inotify
* tophide
* xstr
* xstrp4
* yojson

* ocamlp3l

Don't know:
* gmetadom

>    * sexplib310
>
> Sexplib and typeconf has been included into Jane Streets Core. Am
> I right in assuming that the next janest-core packge will provide
> sexplib310 and type-conf?

It remains separate packages. Jane Street provides (AFAIK), either a
big archive containing all its libraries or a set of smaller archives
(type-conv, binprot, sexplib, core...). Also, since they all have
adopted the same numbering scheme (108.01), you can choose to migrate
to the whole archive.

> To judge the importance of the orphaned packages, I made the
> following table:
>
>                 Popcon  Squeeze?  reverse dep
>
> atdgen               9
> biniou              27              atdgen yojson
> caml2html            6              easy-format biniou ocaml-atd yojson atdgen
> camlmix              1              caml2html easy-format biniou ocaml-atd yojson atdgen
> camomile           413     yes      ocaml-batteries
> cppo                 5
> easy-format          1              biniou OCaml-atd yojson atdgen
> gmetadom         14410     yes      lablgtkmathview
> mikmatch             5
> ocaml-atd            9
> ocaml-benchmark     17     yes
> ocaml-dbus          36     yes
> ocaml-deriving       4
> ocaml-extunix       11
> ocamlgsl            66     yes      orpie
> ocaml-inifiles       7
> ocaml-inotify       18     yes
> ocaml-sqlexpr        5
> ounit              225     yes      cudf ocaml-expect ocaml-extunix ocaml-reins
> sexplib310          58     yes      occinelle
> tophide              5
> uuidm               24     yes
> xstr                70     yes
> xstrp4               3
> yojson              26              atdgen
>

> Many of these packages have a rather low popcon count, but many
> of them are not in Squeeze, so their popularity might rise after
> the release.

Popcon count for OCaml packages, in general, is quite low. OCaml
libraries remain in the long tail of package installed. I think this
is related to the "static compilation" scheme of OCaml. Since you
don't need to install a library along the program that uses it, you
only count "dev machine" that will install your package. And OCaml
Debian computer used for development around the world is probably a
small percent of Debian computer using the libraries. Although, this
is only my take on this.

> In the above list, only sexplib310, camomile, gmetadom and
> ocamlgsl have reverse dependencies not in the list. That is only
> removing sexplib310, camomile, gmetadom or ocamlgsl will affect
> packages not in this list.
>
> Depending on time I probably have a look at one or the other
> package.

Thx for the analysis.
Sylvain