Re: pycaml

Dear Stéphane,

Many thanks for your response.

Stéphane Glondu (2015/03/09 16:27 +0100):
> Le 05/03/2015 16:47, Sébastien Hinderer a écrit :
> > Does anybody here know about pycaml's maintainance status, please?
> > Being involved in a project that depends on it, I'd be happy to
> > participate to its maintainance but am not sure how to do since it's not
> > clear to me who maintains the project currently, if there is someone
> > maintaining it at all.
> >
> > More generally speaking, is there interest in bridging OCaml and Python?
> > Are other solutions (perhaps more maintained) than pycaml arond?
>
> As far as Debian is concerned, the upstream is [1] and I would say it is
> dead. No upstream release since 2005.

Are you aware of this repository:

https://github.com/chemoelectric/pycaml.git ?

> However, we continue to maintain
> it in Debian, and doing so we wrote a few patches [2]. As far as I know,
> pycaml works. It is used by coccinelle.

Yes, and that's precisely why I (wokring on coccinelle) am interested in
maintaining it.

> If you are aware of a better upstream (be it you or otherwise), please
> tell us so we can update the Debian package.

I'd be happy to maintain the project. Shall I start by creating a GihHub
repository and perhaps include the patches you mention in this
repository?

> Possible improvements
> include Python 3 support. The only requirement Debian-wise is to keep it
> compatible with coccinelle (or to adapt coccinelle).

Both seem doable, if necessary.

> If you want to maintain the Debian package, you are welcome as well, but
> keep in mind that upstream development should not be done in Debian
> packaging.

Sure. Well, I can help you guys with the maintainance if you like, but
I'm not a debian developer and don' even have the skills of a debian
developer, so maintaining the package alone is not possible.

Cheers,
Sébastien.