Re: Forge packages recompiled against Octave 5 no longer depend on liboctave7

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 01, 2019 at 22:12:15 +0200, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> Forge packages used to depend on the current liboctave (liboctave6 for
> Octave 4.4).
>
> However, packages recompiled against Octave 5 have lost that
> dependency.
>
> Is that expected? I can’t find anything related in the Octave NEWS or
> mercurial history.

Yes, this was a deliberate change. The intent was to bring Octave's
linking convention in line with other interpreted languages that use
dynamic loadable extensions, like Python.

Here are the upstream bug report [1] and the relevant commit [2].

[1]: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53627
[2]: https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/fa66d81d0956

Maybe instead of a dependency on a specific liboctaveN, we could have
dh-octave inject dependencies on "octave (>= 5.1~), octave (<< 6)"? This
is essentially the stability promise we are aiming to provide now
upstream.

--
mike