Re: Handspring Visor & Debian

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 05:06:37PM +0000, Gareth Bowker wrote:
> Having had my Palm IIIc go missing over the New Year, I'm looking into
> replacing it and was wondering about the Visor from Handspring. I
> noticed that the 2.4 kernel has some support for it. Does anyone have
> any experience setting one up under Linux and getting it to work with
> gpilotd and so forth?

  Being a hardware issue it really has nothing to do with distributions. IT
does work though.  I've had my Visor Solo for a just about a year now, and
have been able to sync it whenever I've needed to for about 9 months.
  Pilot-link stuff does work, though it's not ideal for normal use.  There
are others, and front ends for the pilot-link tools, but I havn't tried any
of them except gnome-pilot.  USB "support" will work once you enable the
option and recompile gnome-pilot.  I quoted support because all it really
does it check /proc/bus/usb/devices for changes, and when it sees a visor,
it starts syncing.  It doesn't even check if it's supposed to be syncing
which is troublesome at times. Over all it did work, now it's stalling and
failing durning sync. Though gnome-pilot doesn't appear to have been
upgraded, so it might be a 2.4.0-nothing issue.
  There is a bug filed in the BTS asking the gnome-pilot maintainer to
recompile with the USB "support" enabled, but it hasn't been answered in any
way in  along while.  The bug report should say how to enable it.

  Enjoy!

  - Nick Lopez
    kimo_sabe@atdot.org
--
"vi has two modes the one in which it beeps
 and the one in which it doesn't" -- Alan Cox