Re: On Bruce Perens and Dave Cinege, etc.

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Glenn Amerine wrote:

>     M> On 27 Oct 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>     >>  What problems are term limits supposed to solve, exactly?
>
>     M> They prevent the voters from re-electing someone that due to
>     M> his entrenchment in the system, has more power than a freshman
>     M> would have.  Greedy and self serving voters vote for the
>     M> incumbant not because is better for the larger comunity, but
>     M> because he can use the power for the people that voted for
>     M> them.
>
> What power does Bruce have that someone running against him wouldn't
> have?
>
>     M> This is especially prevelant in US politics.  For example, it
>     M> would be very difficult to beat Ted Kennedy in an election, as
>     M> he has enough power from the committees he chairs and the votes
>     M> he can trade with his other cronies that it would cost his
>     M> state a lot of money if he were replaced by someone else.
>
> You just made a HUGE leap my friend. US Government and Debian are more
> than a tad different. (Hey Bruce, I'll vote for you if you make sure
> jobs get generated in my district from that Debian powered power plant
> ;-}).

Heck, I'd vote for Bruce if he ran for President.  Mayby this isn't what
you were saying though.

>     M> Hopefully the members of the Debian board is not motivated by
>     M> self serving reasons, and are smarter that the typical
>     M> American.
>
> Most Americans realize they all ready have term limits. They are
> called elections. When it comes to US positions, sure the Incumbents
> have an advantage due to the money and influence they can shift around
> during election time. You have a pretty weak argument if you are
> saying this applies to Debian like it does in the US Government.

What I like about the term limits idea is that they permit authority to be
rotated around regularly with no hard feelings anywhere.  I would feel bad
voting Bruce out of office after all the work he has done.  Term limits
make change automatic, which is perhaps good.

> This is not a yes or no on Ted Kennedy, but if he was doing that bad
> of a job wouldn't he have been out of office a long time ago? To buy

So I take it you are from Vladivodstock or some such place?

> your argument, the Republicans would have to be under-funded and never
> have been in a position of power during Ted's office. Think about it.
>
> Sorry for being off-topic, but I couldn't help it. Bruce has done a
> hell of a job and is now getting smashed on the Net for doing so. Look
> at your screen and decide if you want to be reaping the benefits of
> Bruce and all the other Debian developers or Bill Gates's "work". If
> you want term limits, think about Bill, not Bruce.

I don't mean it to be unpleasant or ungrateful to Bruce, just the opposite
in fact.  I don't like to think of any Debian volunteer stepping down
after being voted out, term limits seem to me like a better idea for this
reason and others.