Re: Policy Weekly Issue #4/4: Announcing new packages before uploading them

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Charles> foo (1.0-2) unstable; urgency=low, closes=10002 11930 10109
>
> Right you are. In his infinite wisdom, the designer (Ian?) has already
> considered the possibility of multipe keyword value pairs.

I have to agree that this design seems much far better than the "hack"
of embedding commands in comments.

But this needs absolutely the opinion of Ian and/or Klee. Not only
dinstall, but also all other programs that use the changelogfile must be
modifyed, and back-compatibility have to be studied well.

The fact that the original design of the changelog format included the
possibility of expanding the syntax doesn't imply that this is possible
or easy to do now.

I've seen also, in another posting, that dpkg-parsechangelog was
rejecting the closes= statement, changing to X-closes= or somethink like
it.
This seems to me that the use of this sintax needs the modification of
dpkg etc.

We absolutely need to hear Ian.

The other possibility is simply to add to dinstall a parser that extract
the command embedded in the comments inside the changelog file and uses
that information to build a CC line for the "installed" message it
already sends back to the maintainer. (finds close=#1234 in the comment
and builds  CC: 1234-done@bugs.debian.org)

This maybe is not a so polite design, but doesn't need _any_ change in
dpkg software, but only in dinstall on master. I feel this solution as
the most practical and of quicker put in use.

There is another implicit advantage in using this "hack": there will be
no different treatment between bugs closed in the old way and bugs
closed automagically in the changelog file (mailing list and submitters
will receive the message); On the contrary we all know how a differently
implemented closing system (via control@bugs.debian.org) ended in
working in such a way that the submitters are simply notificated without
automatically receiveing a message explaining why.
My fear was that adding a third method to close a bug would end in a
third behaviour of the bug-track system.

Fabrizio

> 3.2.3 debian/changelog
>
>  It is not possible to
> specify an urgency containing commas; commas are used to separate
> keyword=value settings in the dpkg changelog format (though there is
> currently only one useful keyword, urgency).

Fabrizio