Re: Start for a discussion about free documentation in Debian.

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> ((NOTE: this does not mean that I can print a sgml book and sell it,
> as printing is a conversion [read: compilation], and must be granted
> in the license elsewhere to be allowed.  But it means that I can
> print the sgml source in a book and sell it, as it would just be a
> verbatim copy. The distinction is hopefully clear to everyone.))

Though printing an sgml book and selling it is allowed by section 2:

> >  2. Source Code
> >
> >     The program must include source code, and must allow distribution in
> >     source code as well as compiled form.

If you want to extend program to include documentation, you must
extend compilation to include such conversions.

I think that we should differentiate between technical and
non-technical documents.  We should work on a definition of technical
documents, and then say that all technical documents must obey the
DFSG.  Non-technical documents may obey less restrictive guidelines.

Guy