Re: Start for a discussion about free documentation in Debian.

On Sat, Aug 08, 1998 at 01:18:06PM -0700, Guy Maor wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > ((NOTE: this does not mean that I can print a sgml book and sell it,
> > as printing is a conversion [read: compilation], and must be granted
> > in the license elsewhere to be allowed.  But it means that I can
> > print the sgml source in a book and sell it, as it would just be a
> > verbatim copy. The distinction is hopefully clear to everyone.))
>
> Though printing an sgml book and selling it is allowed by section 2:
>
> > >  2. Source Code
> > >
> > >     The program must include source code, and must allow distribution in
> > >     source code as well as compiled form.
>
> If you want to extend program to include documentation, you must
> extend compilation to include such conversions.

Yes, this is exactly the analogy that I'm seeing. Distribution of the source
code in any form is something different than distribution of "compiled",
read format converted documents. Thank you for pointing out that this is
already included in point 2, I missed this.

> I think that we should differentiate between technical and
> non-technical documents.  We should work on a definition of technical
> documents, and then say that all technical documents must obey the
> DFSG.  Non-technical documents may obey less restrictive guidelines.

please see my posting or
"http://mastwer.debian.org/~brinkmd/free_doc/index.html";.

The second part is a first small attempt to categorize non-technical
documents.

Marcus