Re: [rms@gnu.org: Free Software Needs Free Documentation]

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

> [Everybody following a different standard would make standards
> pointless.]

Yes, of course everybody will agree with you there.

But isn't innovation important?  If I come up with a new modified
standard, and prominently plaster big warnings all over it that this
isn't the original standard, why shouldn't I be allowed to distribute
it?  Why shouldn't I be allowed to distribute patches so that programs
follow this new standard?  What if my idea is a good one and the
standards body see it and incorporates it into the next standard?

Is innovation of standards only allowed to come from the specified
standards committee itself?

> 	There is always a loss of information when translation
>  occurs.

Manoj, you certainly don't allow anybody to get away with even the
tiniest of generalities.  Of course there is a loss of information
when translation occurs.  But surely you're not saying that
translations are bad?

Guy