Re: changes and standards documents

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
>  Buggy software, when fixed, affects only Debian systems. But that's
>  OK, we only distribute stuff for Debian systems.Even in that case, we
>  are bound to feedback our changes upstream.

Nope.  When the debian systems implement servers non-debian systems
may use them.

>  Standards are meant to be a a common ground that everyone, (not
>  just Debian) recognizes, and tries to follow. When we make changes
>  to the standard, the others do not follow; essentially we have
>  become non-conformant, and have injecxted a rogue document intot the
>  universe.

As long as there's no fraud involved, I don't see the problem.

>  A standard that no one follws is not a standard.
>
>  I think the best way to proceed is become non-standard, and give the
>  reasons for doing so and attempt to get the standard modified. Of
>  find some other standard to adopt.

Sure, a part of the process of issueing standards is issueing draft
standards.  That's certainly not the whole process.

>  Standards don't eveolve via unofficial modifications (at least, I
>  am not aware of a single instance of that happening). I have seen
>  standards bodies looking at unconforming applications, and updating
>  the standard.

Well, there's defacto standards, but I believe the fundamental point
you're trying to make is that a standard which is not being followed
isn't a standard.  Which is fine.

I think we do need to make a place for standards which we can redistribute
but can't modify.  I don't think that place is main.  Perhaps that place
is contrib, or something like contrib.

--
Raul