Re: changes and standards documents

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Philip Hands wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
> > 	I think that mutable strandards are an anathema: supporting a
> >  plethora of modified almost standards dilutes the benefits of a
> >  standard, the strength of a standard lies in the fact that *everyone*
> >  follows the same document.
>
> I agree absolutely.
>
> I wasn't saying that standards should all be DFSG free.
>
> I just don't want anything that isn't DFSG free in main.
>
> If you dislike the fact that this means that certain standards documents are
> not available on our CDs, then why don't we just create a new section, for
> free but unchangeable stuff (``immutable'' say), with a status similar to
> contrib (i.e. we put it on CDs)
>
> Alternatively, why not just widen the brief of contrib, to allow for immutable
> documentation to be included.
>
> Including anything that is non-DFSG in main, means that people have to start
> checking licences, before playing with the source --- a Bad Thing IMHO.

I agree with Phil here.

(Actually, I *still* believe that there is a strong case for suggesting
that standards should allow derived works, with an appropriate
name-change).

Maybe it helps to draw a parallel with software patents?  Many proponents
of free software, myself included, feel that their shouldn't be any kind
of IP over 'ideas' or 'algorithms'.  I find that, for me, *most*
documentation, technical or not, falls into this category.

I vote for maintaining the 'sanctity' of main.  The only exceptions that I
personally would grant are: 1) legal licenses (e.g. the GPL itself) and
2) short, relevant personal communications (such as when we stick an email
from the upstream maintainer in /usr/doc because it explains some point of
contention).

Jules

..pondering the fact that Gordon Matzigkeit (sp?) puts all his personal
emails under a GPL-ish license...  are you a FIG?