Re: Licenses for non-software entities

Hi,
>>"Drake" == Drake Diedrich <Drake.Diedrich@anu.edu.au> writes:

 Drake> I don't have any philosophical objections.  From a practical
 Drake> point of view adding a new area is quite a bit of work,
 Drake> distributed among a lot of people.

	We are already thinking about the package pool and a revolving
 pre-reease idea, which may need extensive work on archives
 anyway. This can be done simultaneously.

 Drake>    Aren't licenses and copyright notices a special case
 Drake>    legally anyway?

	Nope. In any case, no court really has jusrisdiction over
 where we stick these documents on our archive sites.

 Drake> I've heard they are not covered by copyright (you can take a
 Drake> license, make minor changes, and use the new license for your
 Drake> own work).  The modified license would be invalid for the
 Drake> original work.

	You have heard incorrectly. The GPL comes with this immutable
 license:
                    GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
                       Version 2, June 1991

 Copyright (C) 1989, 1991 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
                       59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA
 Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
 of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.

	manoj

--
 The idea of man leaving this earth and flying to another celestial
 body and landing there and stepping out and walking over that body