Re: Maybe it's time to split debian-devel-changes

On 20 Aug 1998, Martin Mitchell wrote:

> Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:
>
> > Therefore, I will send the last proposal:
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-policy-9808/msg00115.html
> >
> > to 17525@bugs.debian.org, so that whenever the new upload procedure is
> > implemented, the list is splitted in the proposed way at that time.
>
> I suggest one change to this. Instead of renaming debian-devel-changes
> to debian-devel-changes-i386, it should be changed to
> debian-devel-changes-source. This way people who upload source packages
> for other architectures will get noticed, and the packages will be
> recompiled by i386 users. I expect that more package maintainers will
> be using non-i386 in future, and this should help the i386 packages stay
> up to date.

I don't fully understand your suggestion.

My proposal had already two different lists, debian-devel-changes-i386 and
debian-devel-changes-source:

* People subscribed to the first one are only interested in binary .deb
packages for the i386 architecture, not in new source packages. Most of
the Debian users currently subscribed to debian-devel-changes will want to
stay here.

* People who want to compile packages for other architectures different
than the one the package maintainer provides (which may or may not
be i386) should subscribe to debian-devel-changes-source.

I think we should not force normal i386 users to receive source
announcements not containing any i386 .deb binary.

Thanks.

--
 "e4044e0d5984450d58247be51446a5e7" (a truly random sig)