Re: what needs to be policy?

Hi,
>>"Joey" == Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

 >> An incompatible change in menu does not mean the package does
 >> not work. It does. Just every other package is now broken. By your
 >> own rules, one may not report bugs against menu.

 Joey> Ok, let me try again since "or whatever"'s too vague for you.

 Joey> There are two valid reasons for a bug report (of severity > wishlist):

 Joey> 1. A package is broken. It does not work, or it does not install, or it
 Joey>    breaks other packages that depend on it or use it, etc.

	I have reservations about the last bit (I would like to see
 the wording tightened a bit), but I understand.

 Joey> 2. A package is in violation of policy.

 Joey> Can we both agree with that statement? I would like to find I
 Joey> agree with you at some level.

 Joey> Of course, you know I'm going to add:

 Joey> There is no need to add an item to policy if a violation of
 Joey> said item would allow a bug report to be filed for reason #1
 Joey> above.

	Of course there is a need, if you want it to be a policy of
 Debian. Unless it is policy, there is no compelling reason for
 packages to conform (I think I shall close the doc-base bugs on my
 packages, they annoy me).

	I think we need to create standards that packages follow, so
 that one may depend on things being a certain way on Debian boxes
 (like location of the MTA program, and that /var/www means something
 vis-a-vis the local hosts). Only when we have well accepted
 concentions (and these need to be subject to peer review and debate,
 and not at the whimsy of some individual), can we have an OS that
 rises abve the dross.

 Joey> (At this point I just wonder if you understand what I'm saying,
 Joey> whether or not you agree with it. If you do I'm content to shut
 Joey> up and stop repeating it.)

	If you understand my stance, and still hold thse vierws (and
 thus ensure me we are on the same page, more or less), then I see
 what you are saying, yes. I think I disagree with your conclusions,
 as you do mine.

	I also think there are a number of people out there who want
 someone to blame -- someone to bitch and moan about, and they find it
 disconcerting to be put in a position where they feel mildy guilty
 for not having girded up their lions and pitched in and helkped with
 creating policy, rather than have policy created for them.

	manoj
--
 Mr. DePree believes participative capitalism is the wave of the
 future.  The U.S. work force, he believes, "more and more demands to
 Wall Street Journal, May 3, 1988
Manoj Srivastava     <srivasta@acm.org>    <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>