Re: /etc/ppp/ip-{up|down}.d/

On Fri 29 Oct 1999, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Christian Hammers wrote:
> > I propose to make a short note to the developers-reference or
> > debian-policy telling the developers that they should take care
> > of this or even forcing lintian to print warnings if scripts
> > are not prefixed.
>
> If you do this you should probably also come up with some guidelines
> for which number-ranges to use.
>
> I'm not convinced this is needed or desired though.

Well, for dialup using ISDN with dial-on-demand in combination with
dynamic IP numbers, having the isdnutils ip-up script run as the first
one is probably a must, as that sets the default route correctly (when
an interface is configured with an IP address, all routes using that
interface `conveniently' get deleted by the kernel). It's in theory
possible that the ipppd could set it up, but for some reason it doesn't
work properly; using ip-up does.  I also adjust my firewall rules there.

So, at least state that applications (such as wwwoffle, sendmail) should
not use 00 as the number, as that should be reserved for stuff that
configures the network.

Note that the latest isdnutils uses ip-up.d/00-isdnutils and
ip-down.d/99-isdnutils.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/