Re: [PROPOSED] Change package relations policy to remove references to non-free from main

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Enhances works in the opposite direction from Suggests: it allows a
> package a to state that it can enhance the functionality of a
> package b.  So instead of package b declaring a Suggests on package
> a we now make package a Enhance package b.

Are you sure, that this works in the practice?
I just looked at my packages and see, that transfig suggests
netpbm-nonfree (it is needed to create GIF images with transfig).

Your proposal means, that I should remove netpbm-nonfree from
transfig's suggests and add "Enhances: netpbm-nonfree" to
netpbm-nonfree.

Is this really the correct way?  Why does the maintainer of
netpbm-nonfree have to change his package every time some package from
main suggests it?  This may be political correct, but it is not
logical or consistent.

> Using this we can remove all Suggests from packages in main to
> packages outside of main by replacing them with an
> Enhances-declaration in the non-main package.

That's the theory.  The practice may be, that it will take a long time
until the "opposite" package implements the "Enhances" header.
Another disadvantage of this idea: It only works with a patched
dselect, but if I (as a human) want to quickly see, which packages are
needed (by doing a dpkg --print-available foo), I don't have a chance
to find out, what packages are suggested.  Instead of this, I always
have to look at the non-free package list (or let some program do
this), which packages enhance the package foo.  I'm not sure, whether
this is really a step forward.

Ciao

        Roland

--