Re: Submitting bugs ? (Was: Getting rid of section "base" ?)

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> | 2.3.6. The base system
>   ----------------------

> |   The base system is a minimum subset of the Debian GNU/Linux system that is
>     installed before everything else on a new system.  Thus, only very few
> |   packages are allowed to go into the base system to keep the
> |   required disk usage very small.

>     Most of these packages should have the priority value `required' or at
>     least `important', and many of them will be tagged `essential' (see
>     below).
>
>     You must not place any packages into the `base' section before this has
>     been discussed on the `debian-devel' mailing list and a consensus about
>     doing that has been reached.

> I considered making some change to say that debian-boot has control of what
> goes in there, but I don't think that's really necessary.

"You must not place..." implies that you can, but if the boot-floppy
people are doing manual selection, I don't see how you can.  I'd
strike that third paragraph completely.  Unless it's aimed at the
boot-floppy people, and I'd hope that we'd grant them reasonable
discretion.

Or am I missing something here?

Anyway, aside from that, it looks like a good proposal.

cheers