Re: Submitting bugs ? (Was: Getting rid of section "base" ?)

Chris Waters wrote:
> Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
>
> > | 2.3.6. The base system
> >   ----------------------
>

> > |   The base system is a minimum subset of the Debian GNU/Linux system that is
> >     installed before everything else on a new system.  Thus, only very few
> > |   packages are allowed to go into the base system to keep the
> > |   required disk usage very small.
>
> >     Most of these packages should have the priority value `required' or at
> >     least `important', and many of them will be tagged `essential' (see
> >     below).
> >
> >     You must not place any packages into the `base' section before this has
> >     been discussed on the `debian-devel' mailing list and a consensus about
> >     doing that has been reached.
>
> > I considered making some change to say that debian-boot has control of what
> > goes in there, but I don't think that's really necessary.
>
> "You must not place..." implies that you can, but if the boot-floppy
> people are doing manual selection, I don't see how you can.  I'd
> strike that third paragraph completely.  Unless it's aimed at the
> boot-floppy people, and I'd hope that we'd grant them reasonable
> discretion.

Hm, well, I don't necessarily think giving them discresion is bad, but I
think we should at least think the idea over before amending policy to do
so. Which is why I left that paragraph in. I can see value in keeping
debian-devel as the place where such changes is discussed: these change have
remifications on debian as a whole.

--
see shy jo