[Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch>] Re: [configure: feature request] Support configuration like `i386-linux'.

--- Begin Message ---
karlheg@inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:

>  I would like if I could say `configure i386-linux', rather than
>  `configure i386-debian-linux'.  Here's why (one paragraph at top of
>  page):
>
> 	<URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch5.html>

 > .1 Architecture specification strings
 >
 > If a program needs to specify an architecture specification string
 > in some place, the following format has to be used:
 >
 >             <arch>-<os>

That idea seems broken to me. Configure machine types always have been
been triples.

 > Note, that we don't want to use `<arch>-debian-linux' to apply to
 > the rule `architecture-vendor-os' since this would make our
 > programs incompatible to other Linux distributions.

I would even prefer that they used <arch>-debian-linux since that is a
good indication of the distribution used to compile it. Yet another
data point to go by.

I am not sure why that string would make them incompatible but even if
that is so, it doesn't help much as Redhat uses i686-redhat-linux

Jan

--- End Message ---