Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 12:04:10PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> Nothing, but it has a lot to do with the distribution of .debs.  If we
> prohibited non-Debian-users people from using our dowload sites, then
> there would probably be no issue here.

I quote from the GPL here (section 3):

  "If distribution of executable or object code is made by offering
   access to copy from a designated place, then offering equivalent
   access to copy the source code from the same place counts as
   distribution of the source code, even though third parties are not
   compelled to copy the source along with the object code."

We distribute source with binaries, the source includes a copy of the
license, *and* we are explicitly indemnified against actions of third
parties.

So, the only real question I see is whether "giving" (as in "give any
other recipients of the Program a copy of this License") is different
from "distributing".  If you distribute source to the recipients of
the binaries, are you not giving them the source?  And we are
distributing the source to recipients of the binaries, so we are
certainly also distributing the (included) GPL to recipients of the
binaries.

cheers