Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

On Mon, 11 May 2009, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > If you refer to the fact, that dpkg-buildpackage cleans and rebuilds
> > everything and that it can take a lot of time, then please stop using
> > arguments that do not hold at all. you can call arbitrary debian/rules
> > targets with dpkg-buildpackage (without calling the clean rule
> > before-hand) and I pointed that to you multiple times already.
> > It's in dpkg 1.15.x (in experimental right now, in sid this week) and
> > it's the --target option.
>
>         Nice rant about a facility that is not yet in proper
>  distribution (ustable, testing, or stable).

You have however "-nc" since a long time and if you have proper Make
dependencies it should be pretty quick by not redoing unnecessary work.

Furthermore, we're designing stuff for the future so you have no reason
to dismiss that fact even if it's not yet in sid.

>         So, until a date in the future at this point, using
>  dpkg-buildpackageis a resource hog, and no, you have not told me
>  multiple times.

Right I have not repeated it multiple times in the discussion because
I try to avoid that but it was in the initial wiki page that started this
discussion: http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/DebianRules

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/