Re: about PowerPc - offtopic

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, David Welton wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 05:17:02AM -0600, Shiryu wrote:
> > I have powerbook 333Mhz, and it runs like 1/2 of the speed of my PII
> > 400 Mhz, wasnt G3 supose to be much faster? ( I tested compilations
> > on Debian, using time command).
>
> Compiling is not a very good way of benchmarking a processor - there
> are too many factors involved...

Right, it involves the performance of your compiler (determined by the
performance of the compiler it was compiled with. Gcc for PPC is not that
well-optimized yet) and of the code-generating process (for PPC or for Intel).
Try cross-compiling for the Intel on the PPC, or for the PPC on the Intel for a
better comparison. Actually that's one part of the SPEC benchmarks:
cross-compile for Sun-3.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP} -- geert@linux-m68k.org