Re: Announcing: XFree86 Xserver accelerated for Rage 128 from XFree86 3.9.17

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 17, 2000, Kostas Gewrgiou <gewrgiou@imbc.gr> wrote:
> > >  It is possible, but since the mach64 driver in 3.9.x doesn't have
> > >acceleration
> > >yet it won't offer anything more than the fbdev driver. Once acceleration is
> > >there i am sure that one of us will do it :). Note also that the mga/glint
> > >drivers support fbdev as well. Anyone willing to add support for the mac only
> > >cards platinum/control etc ?
> >
> > There is support for mach64 accel in Geert's FBDev, I think. Isn't it
> > possible to port this using Kevin Rage128 stuff as a framework ?
>
> 3.3.x differs a lot from 3.9.x.
>
> BTW, I thought the PI guys added accel support for Mach64 to 3.9.x some months
> ago...

  Nope the ati driver in 3.9.x doesn't have acceleration, from the xfree mailing
lists it seems that accel is ready (or almost ready) and patches will be
submitted soon.

The driver in 3.9.x supports both mach32 and mach64 from what i can see, and
even without accel the sources are about 600k so porting it to fbdev *might* not
be easy :(.

  Kostas Gewrgiou