Re: Announcing: XFree86 Xserver accelerated for Rage 128 from XFree86 3.9.17

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Kostas Gewrgiou wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > > There is support for mach64 accel in Geert's FBDev, I think. Isn't it
> > > possible to port this using Kevin Rage128 stuff as a framework ?
> >
> > 3.3.x differs a lot from 3.9.x.
> >
> > BTW, I thought the PI guys added accel support for Mach64 to 3.9.x some months
> > ago...
> >

>   Nope the ati driver in 3.9.x doesn't have acceleration, from the xfree mailing
> lists it seems that accel is ready (or almost ready) and patches will be
> submitted soon.

Hmmm... That's what I heard from the XFree86 guys at Linux Expo as well...

> The driver in 3.9.x supports both mach32 and mach64 from what i can see, and
> even without accel the sources are about 600k so porting it to fbdev *might* not
> be easy :(.

The nice thing is that we don't need the non-accel part of the code, since
that's handled by atyfb :-)

The soon-to-exist accel code doesn't need much changes.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven ----------------- Sony Suprastructure Center Europe (SUPC-E)