Installing on iBook DV, having trouble...

Well, it seems that today was the day my new iBook came in,
finally.

64 Megs Ram, 20 Gig Hard drive, and (of course) Blue, not Lime Green.

I thought I had paid enough attention during Hadess's experience
installing on his to handle the situation without problems.

Boy, was I wrong...

Anyway, I got through the initial base install easily enough, except
for the minor problem that I now have the ethernet set up. I am not
sure I wanted the ethernet set up... does anyone have any tips on
how I should uninstall the ethernet drivers, and host information?
I removed the line from /etc/hosts; where else do I have to do some
work? Since I don't really have a network set up at work, the interface
is useless to me.

(This may change in the future. I'm thinking of setting up a used PC
as a server).

I think this was part of the cause of my later problems...

Then it got to the part where I had to choose and pick applications.
The CD's I got, from www.linux-cd.com (I think), didn't seem to interact
very well with the ibook's cdrom drive. I had a lot of errors when running
dselect.

I began to think that upgrading the kernel would help a little, (also
because X wasn't working out of the box, and I knew that I had to upgrade
the kernel and get the XFree 4.0 debs from somewhere (where?))
so I tried to configure ppp so I could get a fresh kernel and
X.

That was when things got wierd: ppp would connect, but I couldn't
_get_ anywhere. It couldn't find any addresses, or anything like that.

I then tried "ifconfig eth0 down", and it didn't help; neither did
setting ppp to promiscuous; neither did specifying the nameserver
in resolv.conf.

I was doubly hampered by the fact that when I try to connect a second
time with ppp, after disconnecting the first time, the modem wouldn't
work. It only worked the first time after each reboot.

I'm at my home x86 box right now, and here I have both net access, _and_
what's more I have borrowed a CD burner from a co-worker. I can download
here, burn onto a CD-R, and hopefully read it on the iBook. (I have imation
CDR's, and I hope they'll work better than whatever brand of CDR the other
guys were using).

I guess the first step is to get a new kernel, then the new Xforce debs,
and finally to get rid of eth0 for the moment, and get the modem working,
so I can overcome the fact that some stuff didn't appear to install thanks
to the CD's I got via mail order. (I may have to do some sort of dependency
consistency check on the system; that's apt-get check, right?)

Does anyone have any ideas? I was going to get the kernel source at
kernel.xorsis.net, probably the bitkeeper development tree. (I'm
getting it now from ftp.fsmlabs.com, because there was something
screwy about the net setup at xorsis). If I should use the Paulus
kernel instead, let me know...

I guess that's all for now.

Phil
pgf@globalreach.net