Re: Installing on iBook DV, having trouble...

Quoting Phil Fraering <pgf@globalreach.net>:

> Well, it seems that today was the day my new iBook came in,
> finally.
>
> 64 Megs Ram, 20 Gig Hard drive, and (of course) Blue, not Lime Green.
>
> I thought I had paid enough attention during Hadess's experience
> installing on his to handle the situation without problems.
>
> Boy, was I wrong...
>
> Anyway, I got through the initial base install easily enough, except
> for the minor problem that I now have the ethernet set up. I am not
> sure I wanted the ethernet set up... does anyone have any tips on
> how I should uninstall the ethernet drivers, and host information?
> I removed the line from /etc/hosts; where else do I have to do some
> work? Since I don't really have a network set up at work, the interface
> is useless to me.
>
> (This may change in the future. I'm thinking of setting up a used PC
> as a server).
>
> I think this was part of the cause of my later problems...
>
> Then it got to the part where I had to choose and pick applications.
> The CD's I got, from www.linux-cd.com (I think), didn't seem to interact
> very well with the ibook's cdrom drive. I had a lot of errors when
> running
> dselect.

Well, this is kinda normal. That's not a big problem, use cdrom_speed if you can
find it (it is on freshmeat but the link seems dead), and set the speed to x8
and it should be ok.

> I began to think that upgrading the kernel would help a little, (also
> because X wasn't working out of the box, and I knew that I had to
> upgrade
> the kernel and get the XFree 4.0 debs from somewhere (where?))
> so I tried to configure ppp so I could get a fresh kernel and
> X.
>
> That was when things got wierd: ppp would connect, but I couldn't
> _get_ anywhere. It couldn't find any addresses, or anything like that.
>
> I then tried "ifconfig eth0 down", and it didn't help; neither did
> setting ppp to promiscuous; neither did specifying the nameserver
> in resolv.conf.
>
> I was doubly hampered by the fact that when I try to connect a second
> time with ppp, after disconnecting the first time, the modem wouldn't
> work. It only worked the first time after each reboot.

That's a known problem, compile macserial as a module and remove and insert it
when you want to reconnect.

> I'm at my home x86 box right now, and here I have both net access, _and_
> what's more I have borrowed a CD burner from a co-worker. I can download
> here, burn onto a CD-R, and hopefully read it on the iBook. (I have
> imation
> CDR's, and I hope they'll work better than whatever brand of CDR the
> other
> guys were using).
>
> I guess the first step is to get a new kernel, then the new Xforce debs,
> and finally to get rid of eth0 for the moment, and get the modem
> working,
> so I can overcome the fact that some stuff didn't appear to install
> thanks
> to the CD's I got via mail order. (I may have to do some sort of
> dependency
> consistency check on the system; that's apt-get check, right?)

Whatever your kernel, you'd better not use a devel one if you plan to use your
ethernet card. A bug in the driver does so that all transmitted packets are the
wrong size or something and they all appear as errors... resulting in a 50
bytes/sec speed. Without the bug it goes up to 4 megs a second...

> Does anyone have any ideas? I was going to get the kernel source at
> kernel.xorsis.net, probably the bitkeeper development tree. (I'm
> getting it now from ftp.fsmlabs.com, because there was something
> screwy about the net setup at xorsis). If I should use the Paulus
> kernel instead, let me know...

If you have any question, mail me, I'd be glad to help if I can.
Cheers

/Hadess
http://hadess.net