Re: TiBook X issues

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 12:36:39PM -0700, Wilhelm *rafial* Fitzpatrick wrote:
> >sorry this won't work, yaboot has no such option `video='  so the
> >kernel never sees this.  the correct way is:
>
> Interesting... I certainly believe you, since you would know.  There
> are number of sample yaboot configs floating around in the mailing
> list archives with video=foo, obviously misinformation is being
> spread. (What! misinformation on the internet?!?  I'm shocked!)

it is indeed misinformation, though benh has been meaning to make
yaboot treat `video=' just like `root=' right now yaboot knows nothing
about it and will simply ignore the unknown variable.

> The reason I assumed it was working was that I do see messages
> referring to the aty128 video on boot.  Perhaps I'm lucky and the
> kernel is figuring stuff out for itself.  I'll certainly try changing
> the video= option to the correct append="video=..." version and see
> if it affects my configuration for the better!

the kernel is usually pretty good about figuring out the framebuffer
on its own most of the time you only need to specify a video= argument
when you want different modes then the kernel chooses by default.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/