Re: upgrade to MacOS 9.1, now lilo dissapears

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 12:40:51PM -0700, Grant Miller wrote:

> A strange problem on my powerbook appeared when I blew away my MacOS 9.0.4
> install and put MacOS 9.1 on it.
>
> I booted off of the 9.1 CD and formatted the partition that had OS 9.0.4
> installed on it (/dev/hda10).  Then I installed MacOS 9.1.
>
> At some point after I erased the OS 9.0.4 partition, a disk called bootstrap
> showed up on the MacOS desktop.  This disk has never appeared before in
> MacOS.  The bootstrap disk is at /dev/hda9 is named Apple_Bootstrap and is
> of type HFS.

thats wrong, the TYPE must be Apple_Bootstrap not the name.

> Once the bootstrap disk showed up in MacOS, lilo did not appear when booting.

its ybin actually, and its because MacOS rendered it unbootable, that
is why you must use a TYPE Apple_Bootstrap and not just the name.  in
mac-fdisk C != c when creating partitions.

> I was able to boot off of the Debian CD and get into Linux and run ybin to
> get lilo back, but whenever I booted into MacOS, lilo would get nuked.

yup, fix your bootstrap partition to have type Apple_Bootstrap and
macos wil be unable to mount the partition and ruin it anymore.

> I looked at the partition table (or what mac-fdisk showed), and there was no
> change in the partition names or types from before I did this upgrade and
> after.

please post this output.

> Is there a way to get the Apple_Bootstrap partition to not be seen by MacOS
> even though it is a HFS partition?

yes set the type to Apple_Bootstrap.  name != type.

> Or does MacOS 9.1 do some "extra stuff" to blow away the bootstrap records?

it shouldn't.  MacOSX uses the same method when you install onto UFS.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/