Re: powerpc d-i daily builds reactivated, use 2.6.12 kernels, including 64bit kernels, miboot floppies dropped for now.

On Aug 24 2005, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 01:58:58AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > After installing the NewerTech G3 upgrade card into the PowerMac
> > 9500/180MP, I had some problems, when I tried to install
> > Debian. None of the sarge floppies would work and I eventually
> > decided to get rid of any
>
> Ah, so you are not really using the 2.6 miboot floppies, after all, in
> fact you are not at all using miboot.

Please, correct, me but the fake Finder and System folders that comes
with Debian's woody HFS floppy are miboot floppies, right?

That floppy is what I am using to boot my system. But, again, please
correct me if I am wrong.

> How do you actually boot this kernel from a floppy if it doesn't
> involve using miboot ? And are you sure this method will work on all
> old-world implementations ?

I am not sure if it works with other OldWorld implementations. I do
think that it does, since, IIRC, there were other people using the very
same process some time ago (say, one or two years ago). Also, it has
continued to work on my pmac even after I upgraded its processor (from
the dual 604e card to a single G3 card).

> Also, if yes, would you contribute some documentation about this in
> the installation manual ?

Of course I can contribute documentation, but I don't think that what I
am doing is anything extraordinary.

Regards, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/