Re: powerpc d-i daily builds reactivated, use 2.6.12 kernels, including 64bit kernels, miboot floppies dropped for now.

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 01:01:20AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Aug 24 2005, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 01:58:58AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > > After installing the NewerTech G3 upgrade card into the PowerMac
> > > 9500/180MP, I had some problems, when I tried to install
> > > Debian. None of the sarge floppies would work and I eventually
> > > decided to get rid of any
> >
> > Ah, so you are not really using the 2.6 miboot floppies, after all, in
> > fact you are not at all using miboot.
>
> Please, correct, me but the fake Finder and System folders that comes
> with Debian's woody HFS floppy are miboot floppies, right?

No idea, probably, but i am really not all that knowledgeable about pre-sarge
oldworld stuff.

> That floppy is what I am using to boot my system. But, again, please
> correct me if I am wrong.

Not sure, someone else could comment.

> > How do you actually boot this kernel from a floppy if it doesn't
> > involve using miboot ? And are you sure this method will work on all
> > old-world implementations ?
>
> I am not sure if it works with other OldWorld implementations. I do
> think that it does, since, IIRC, there were other people using the very
> same process some time ago (say, one or two years ago). Also, it has
> continued to work on my pmac even after I upgraded its processor (from
> the dual 604e card to a single G3 card).

It is more firmware than processor related though.

> > Also, if yes, would you contribute some documentation about this in
> > the installation manual ?
>
> Of course I can contribute documentation, but I don't think that what I
> am doing is anything extraordinary.

Well, it is always better than nothing, which is probably what we have now.

Friendly,

Sven Luther