/.: -private versus the cabal model

First post! ;-)

Seriously, here's a good discussion topic: in a recent discussion on
Slashdot, someone (presumably a disgruntled member of the
new-maintainer queue) argued that the existence of -private is an
inherently bad thing.  Here's my thought:

I've thought a bit more about this, and come to the conclusion that
-private lets developers participate more (not less) than having just
a public list.

Why? Well, imagine there's a group of people in Debian privy to more
info than the rest of us, say like the guys who work for Novare or VA
or the DPL. Without a -private list, they have to pick and choose who
gets the information (for the sake of this discussion, let's call the
chosen group The Cabal ;-). The Cabal inherently leaves lots of people
out of the process. Wouldn't it be better to let everyone whose
identity we've verified participate?

Thus, everyone is part of the Cabal. I much prefer this to the model
of other projects, which is basically that at "some point" you get to
join the "star chamber" where the real decisions get made (like *BSD's
"core" groups, or the [I'm speculating here] Alan Cox-Linus Torvalds
brain ethertap).

[As a corollary, There Is No Cabal ;-)  And if there were, I'd be the
last person anybody would tell...]

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence        |             The Linux/m68k FAQ             |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>   |   http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html   |
|       Debian Developer       |     This address has been spam-proofed.    |
|    http://www.debian.org/    |      All spam goes to your postmaster.     |