Re: Testing Distribution

On Sun, Dec 12, 1999 at 12:37:19AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> You may or may not have seen or remember me talking a while ago about a
> `testing' distribution. I wanted it to fit somewhere between `stable'
> and `unstable', and be automatically populated from packages uploaded
> to unstable; but taking open bugs, dependencies and whatever else into
> account. [0]

[...]

> Further updates as they come to hand.

A couple of things. First, I've stuck in an annoying .htaccess file and
password restricted out all the .debs for the moment. There's not much
point apt'ing from it at the moment (the only major difference from
unstable is the packages are a couple of days older --- they're not
particularly less buggy, or more installable or anything yet), although
the .htaccess file is the only thing stopping this from being possible
right now. [0]

Second, there's some interesting webable information now. It's accessible
from http://lully.debian.org/~ajt/ (which is where most of the other dirs
will redirect you too).

Third, the only TODO item from the last post still outstanding is removing
source packages that aren't desirable any more. It interfaces with the
BTS and everything now. OTOH, "cleanup the horrible mess of hacks and
kludges used to make the damn thing work" seems like it could be worth
prioritising.

So the next major thing is to just sit back and see if it works. Since
Wichert's graciously declared Sunday a BugSquash Day (tm) this seems like
a good chance to see if it really does pick up bug-fix uploads properly.
So, if you wanna help, you know what to do... :)

Cheers,
aj

[0] And, quite frankly, with a 56kbps connection (if I'm lucky!) finding
    people with enough bandwidth to just blithely mirror the damn thing
    just irritates me. Bastards. The lot of you. Not that I'm bitter.
    Much.

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds