Re: irc.debian.org

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 02:42:13PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Pro-network:
>   Specifically pro OPN is that they really want to replace irc with
>   something better, and they really badly seems to need to be done.
> Anti-network:
>   This is long-term and tenative, and we'd effectively be selling our
>   users for the possiblity we might one day get this. I think worrying
>   about depriving OPN of users and thus revenue and thus eventually losing
>   this is too altruistic; we should focus on what is best for us and our
>   users. Anyway there seems to be a lot of push away from OPN in this thread,
>   and if we move to some other network we lose this possible benefit
>   anyway.

Don't really need to worry about that one. The "something better" that
is in the works will make all of this moot; the conventional notion of
a "network" goes away entirely.

> I say all this as a long-time and mostly happy user of OPN, who has
> known lilo in RL and likes him and admires his stated goals, and who has
> been much more bothered by all the netsplits than the advertising,

As far as the occasional splits are concerned, it's usually the result
of sub-perfect network connections to servers. There are software
solutions to this (and they're in the pipeline), but they are all very
complicated and will take time to complete.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK