Re: unauthorized upload of xfree86 4.3.0-1 to unstable

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:03:22PM -0500, Peter Constantinidis wrote:
> I read in the news today that the release of X 4.4 will have a new
> license that requires an advertising clause. As a result, it seems
> likely that Debian will not be able to carry it.
>
> Therefore it looks like this brouhaha will be quickly resolved by X
> 4.3 or a cvs fork of X 4.3.999 being the last version Debian packages
> until such a time as the alternative forks by Keith Packard, et al.
> are ready for deployment.
>
> So I'm thinking that this probably means there is no problem anymore
> about who did what, or who will be working on what. Simply because
> there will be no more versions of the regular XFree86 in Debian after
> 4.3 is uploaded. A non-Xfree86 package can also indicate a new
> maintainer.

I would be disappointed if people thought that moving away from XFree86
was a good excuse to throw away the wealth of experience found in the
people who've been working on XFree86 in Debian for years.

Also, let's not be too hasty in assuming that XFree86's licence change
is an unresolvable problem.