Re: unauthorized upload of xfree86 4.3.0-1 to unstable

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 04:27:46PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:03:22PM -0500, Peter Constantinidis wrote:
> > I read in the news today that the release of X 4.4 will have a new
> > license that requires an advertising clause. As a result, it seems
> > likely that Debian will not be able to carry it.
> >
> > Therefore it looks like this brouhaha will be quickly resolved by X
> > 4.3 or a cvs fork of X 4.3.999 being the last version Debian packages
> > until such a time as the alternative forks by Keith Packard, et al.
> > are ready for deployment.
> >
> > So I'm thinking that this probably means there is no problem anymore
> > about who did what, or who will be working on what. Simply because
> > there will be no more versions of the regular XFree86 in Debian after
> > 4.3 is uploaded. A non-Xfree86 package can also indicate a new
> > maintainer.
>
> I would be disappointed if people thought that moving away from XFree86
> was a good excuse to throw away the wealth of experience found in the
> people who've been working on XFree86 in Debian for years.

Well, I *did* solicit feedback as to whether people thought my services
in particular were still required in this area.

Mr. Constantinidis's assessment of that seems clear.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The software said it required
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Windows 3.1 or better, so I