Re: Debian Maintainers

On 11184 March 1977, Joey Hess wrote:

>> Now, nothing on debian-newmaint (except for someone not in the DM
>> keyring). Using google with a search on lists.debian.org for the 3 names
>> that are currently in returns - nothing that is an advocation mail.

> I think it's not unreasonable to defer announcements of additions to the
> keyring until we've finished putting into place the system to manage and
> use the keyring.

In that case - use keys generated by a DD for the test. In case you dont
want that - do an announcement and include a paragraph saying "we are
currently testing the system, this DM agreed to beta-test, please wait
until we do a public announcement before you advocate other people, thanks".

> The debian-maintainers source package contains information about who
> advocated each DM, as part of the changeset that adds them to the
> keyring:

Its not what the GR says. That says -project is informed. I havent
written that GR, please do not blame me for its text.

And note that I havent said anything against the three DMs you selected.

> If a DM is in NM, we're also currently accepting an advocation in the NM
> process in leu of a mailing list post.

Thats bad, simply because I know multiple people that wouldnt be able to
finish the NM process *and* some of them shouldnt even be allowed to
upload, even DM-restricted, packages yet without one more looking at
them...

Ok, if the post to -project is there one could immediately say veto, but
thats one additional step.

A little mail from the AM to -newmaint (or -project, the process is a
bit open here) for someone that wants DM shouldnt be too hard?

> | You should only advocate someone if you think that they are ready to be a
> | developer.
> And being a NM is a subset of being a DD, so..

Yes, but that unfortunately doesnt mean everyone is doing that (past experience
speaking). :()

--
bye Joerg
<Aquariophile> geht nur in IE