Re: Debian Maintainers

Hi Joey,

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, Joey Hess wrote:
> DM is not fully implemented yet. AIUI, aj is still adding support in DAK to
> auto-accept the byhand keyring -- but only if it was uploaded by a member of
> the DM keyring team. He may also still have some more tests of the whole
> system, I'm not sure.
>
> I think it's not unreasonable to defer announcements of additions to the
> keyring until we've finished putting into place the system to manage and
> use the keyring.
>
> The current 3 people in the DM keyring agreed to be beta testers of the
> process, and I don't anticipate us adding more people until everything is
> fully implemented and tested.

Thanks for the news and keep up the good work!

FWIW, I don't like the way people are using the GR to embarass you while
you're still setting up everything, however I think that it would have
been even better if one of you could have kept us up-to-date concerning
your progress (ie before people like Joerg start wondering what's up).
IIRC Damog asked once or twice already, and I forwarded his questions to
Anthony, but nobody answered.

(Personally I noticed the "debian-maintainers" upload on -devel-changes
but I think that only the most active people follow that list)

I would also like to remind everybody that the GR contains "initial" rules
and the "DM team" is free to make them evolve. We emphasized this several
times during the GR discussion. (We're not speaking of hard rules that
need another GR to change)

> BTW, another place we diverge from the GR[1] during this bootstrapping
> process is that not everyone listed in the GR yet has commit access to
> debian-maintainers. This is mostly because debian-maintainers currently
> lives in jetring's svn repo, which in retrospect was a bad decision. I
> plan to set up a separate alioth project, and add the other committers
> then.

Indeed. I suggested that quite early to Anthony but at that time the dak
part was not even implemented, so he didn't care about such details yet.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog