Re: Multi-package projects

On Fri, Oct 07, 2022 at 05:54:40PM +0100, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> > - After the merits and problems of the proposed new projects are
> >   discussed, the release team decides which projects are accepted for
> >   the next release.
> >   (I specifically do not mention what rules the release team should
> >   follow in deciding which projects to accept -- I trust their
> >   judgement)
>
> I like the idea in principle - just one comment here, isn't this role
> pretty much tailored for the CTTE?

Perhaps, yes.

> It already has standing to make
> project-wide decisions by existing rules, and in fact routinely does
> so. This is pretty much how the Fedora equivalent, the Steering
> Committee, operates, and it seems to work well over there.
> Any reason you preferred the Release Team in the proposal?

A general principle that I think it's generally better to have the
people who are involved in implementing a decision also be the people
who made the decision in the first place; and it would be the release
team who gets to say (in the end) whether a goal has been reached or
not. I expect the TC to be involved when there are things that are more
complicated (either because the release team is unwilling to take a
decision and asks the TC to step in, or because they did take a decision
but someone believes they took the wrong one, as an escalation process).

But maybe that was wrong, and we should let the TC decide on which
projects are accepted. This part of the proposal isn't very fleshed out
(mostly because I don't have enough insight on how the release team
works), and while it is crucial that it works well for the whole
proposal to work, the specifics of *how* it works are not that crucial.

--
     w@uter.{be,co.za}
wouter@{grep.be,fosdem.org,debian.org}

I will have a Tin-Actinium-Potassium mixture, thanks.