Re: RFS: python-translitcodec , python-mongokit

Excerpts from Jakub Wilk's message of Sat Jan 28 04:00:06 -0800 2012:
> * Clint Byrum <clint@ubuntu.com>, 2012-01-28, 00:52:
> >I've pushed python-translitcodec and python-mongokit into the SVN
> >repository.
>
> translitcodec looks interesting. (Though I don't intend to sponsor it,
> sorry. I'm boycotting dh_python2.) I will be finally able to phase out
> my python-elinks[0].

Thanks for such a detailed review! Replies inline.

> scripts/update_table.py tries to call sys.exit(), though it never
> imports sys.
>
> It should be:
>
>         if not (os.path.exists('translitcodec') and os.path.exists('transtab'))
>
> rather than:
>
>         if not os.path.exists('translitcodec') and os.path.exists('transtab')

These seem like upstream bugs that should be opened up. The script likely
does not see much use as the table doesn't change much.

> Please remove the top comment from debian/rules, it doesn't make sense.

Done.

> Please add Vcs-* fields.

Done.

> Using "debhelper (>= 8)" instead of "debhelper (>= 8.0.0)" would be
> more friendly to backporters.

Done.

> You can remove ${shlibs:Depends} from Depends, it won't be ever
> substituted.

Done.

> Why "Priority: extra"?

I interpreted this library to match the clause in the description in
the policy manual "are only likely to be useful if you already know what
they are".

> Quoting DEP-5 specification: "There are many versions of the MIT
> license. Please use Expat instead, when it matches."

Done.

> Please honour DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nocheck.

Done.

> It would be nice to run tests with all supported Python versions, not
> only the default one.

Can you recommend a good package to look at to implement this?

> I wonder what is the copyright/license status of transtab directory.

Ugh. This seems very ambiguous. I'll contact the author of translitcodec
and also Markus Kuhn to get an explicit license/copyright declaration.

> Lintian emits:
> E: python-translitcodec source: no-human-maintainers
> W: python-translitcodec source: changelog-should-mention-nmu
> W: python-translitcodec source: source-nmu-has-incorrect-version-number 0.2-1
> I: python-translitcodec source: debian-watch-contains-dh_make-template

Added myself into Uploaders, re-ran lintian and warnings went away.