Re: Policy Proposal python3-supported-(min|max) virtual packages

Hi Scott (2023.01.14_19:34:59_+0000)
> >dh_python3 would have been able to generate
> >python3-tomli | python3-min-version (>= 3.11)
> >
> >instead of
> >python3-tomli | python3 (>> 3.11)
> >
> >Then, once python3.10 was dropped from supported, python3 would
> >Provides: python3-min-version (= 3.11), python3-max-version (= 3.11)
>
> And python3-min-version is a virtual package, so dpgk doesn't need any special knowledge to do the right thing, right?  I think that's reasonable.

Yeah.

> Typically though doesn't the python interpreter package provide modules that are now incorporated?  If python3.11 provides python3-tomli, won't that mess this up?

I can't recall how this was done historically, but the git history of
python3 and python3-defaults doesn't show any provides like that. The
only one I can see is python3-profiler, which is provided by python3,
not python3.X.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera