Re: Policy Proposal python3-supported-(min|max) virtual packages

On January 14, 2023 7:51:47 PM UTC, Stefano Rivera <stefanor@debian.org> wrote:
>Hi Scott (2023.01.14_19:34:59_+0000)
>> >dh_python3 would have been able to generate
>> >python3-tomli | python3-min-version (>= 3.11)
>> >
>> >instead of
>> >python3-tomli | python3 (>> 3.11)
>> >
>> >Then, once python3.10 was dropped from supported, python3 would
>> >Provides: python3-min-version (= 3.11), python3-max-version (= 3.11)
>>
>> And python3-min-version is a virtual package, so dpgk doesn't need any special knowledge to do the right thing, right?  I think that's reasonable.
>
>Yeah.
>
>> Typically though doesn't the python interpreter package provide modules that are now incorporated?  If python3.11 provides python3-tomli, won't that mess this up?
>
>I can't recall how this was done historically, but the git history of
>python3 and python3-defaults doesn't show any provides like that. The
>only one I can see is python3-profiler, which is provided by python3,
>not python3.X.

Thanks for checking.

I definitely recall it for Python2, but if it's not a Python3 thing, then I think it's good.  It would probably be beneficial to have the policy statement have a MUST NOT to say not to do it in the future as that would break this.

Scott K