Re: #!/usr/bin/python3 vs virtualenv

On Fri, Mar 03, 2023 at 04:22:11PM -0500, Jorge Moraleda wrote:
> Jeremy, Thank you for your quick reply!
>
> I did not know about `sudo pip install --break-system-packages foo` or  `sudo rm
> /usr/lib/python3.11/EXTERNALLY-MANAGED` (Frankly I only knew about this issue
> what I have read on this discussion). This is very helpful and it really changes
> my outlook on this topic.

The --break-system-packages option is noted in
/usr/share/doc/python3.11/README.venv, and this file is mentioned in
the NEWS file for python3.11.  The
/usr/lib/python3.11/EXTERNALLY-MANAGED file is not mentioned there; I
personally think that having to type --break-system-packages every
time one installs a package via pip globally or on a per-user basis is
safer, as it reminds you that you run risks doing so.

Best wishes,

   Julian