Re: Unittests writing to HOME (backintime)

On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 at 07:52:35 +0000, c.buhtz@posteo.jp wrote:
> My question now is why newer version of this package are uploaded then? I
> couldn't find that the tests where deactivated. Maybe this "disabled on
> Debian auto-builders" is outdated and today it is possible to write to HOME
> during build?

In compat level 13, debhelper will set $HOME to a temporary directory
during the build (see #942111).

The user's "official" home directory in the system user database
(getent passwd $(id -u) | cut -d: -f6) is still set to a directory that
does't exist (/nonexistent) on the official buildds.

>From an upstream point of view it's still bad for unit tests to do
anything destructive in $HOME, because upstream developers who run the
unit tests won't want their data destroyed, but it's harmless to do
non-destructive things like writing to ~/.cache.

    smcv