Unittests writing to HOME (backintime)

Hello,

I assume this topic is not specific to one package but to the whole python packaging universe.

There is "backintime" which unittests do write to $HOME. I'm one of the new upstream maintainers and know that this isn't a good idea. It will take time to fix this.
About that problem there is a debian bug report nearly 4 years old

It tells that this is a problem because writing to HOME during build "is disabled on Debian auto-builders".

My question now is why newer version of this package are uploaded then? I couldn't find that the tests where deactivated. Maybe this "disabled on Debian auto-builders" is outdated and today it is possible to write to HOME during build?