Re: Sponsorship request: python-ping3

Hi,

Carles Pina i Estany <carles@pina.cat> wrote on 16/10/2023 at 21:27:33+0200:

> [[PGP Signed Part:No public key for A802884F60A55F81 created at 2023-10-16T21:27:33+0200 using RSA]]
>
> Hi,
>
> I ITP simplemonitor (#1016113), so I started with one of its
> dependencies (actually is a "soft" dependency, optional but better to
> have) (two more to come).
>
> So, I RFS for ping3:
> https://mentors.debian.net/package/python-ping3/
> https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/python-ping3/python-ping3_4.0.4-1.dsc
>
> Also in:
> https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/packages/python-ping3
>
> This is my first package for Debian. Reviewing only, or reviewing +
> sponsorship, are very appreciated. I'd like to get this one as right as
> possible to do the next Python3 packages as good as possible.
>
> If it suits anyone better: I'm cpina on freenode (#debian-python for
> example).
>
> Thank you very much for any advise!

LGTM. Just for DEP-14, you should have the main branch named
debian/unstable and not debian/master.

I pushed a debian/unstable branch and modified gbp.conf.

 1. Regarding packaging, lintian is happy and the files look good to
    me. You can install devscripts and use wrap-and-sort to make some
    things a bit more readable (IMHO). (have a look at devscripts in
    general, it's resourceful)

 2. Regarding testing, this package is a bit a mess. First you probably
    realized that you can't run tests at buildtime because a raw socket
    requires root privilege. I see you designed custom autopkgtest to
    still have some proper testing. That being said, the Testsuite:
    field is not useful as by default pybuild uses unittest which
    doesn't work on this package.

    I was hoping to provide you with a way to run upstream tests anyway
    which is possible (add python3-pytest as a build dep, disable tests
    in d/rules, and then configure autopkgtest-pkg-pybuild to use root
    privilege) but upstream made tests that actually require dns
    resolution (you won't have any) for the value in /etc/hostname which
    won't work on a buildd. We'd require to force change the value in
    this file and it'd make it a bit tedious.

    From there you have two options: the first one is to drop the
    Testsuite: field and keep the two tests you designed and call it a
    day, or you drop it and write a third test stanza in
    debian/tests/control with a shell script you'd also have to write
    that moves the tests to the tmp dir autopkgtest creates, puts
    localhost in /etc/hosts and then run tests. In that case you need to
    add pytest to the dependencies of this test stanza.

Your call.

Tell me when you're fine with your work and I'll upload.

Cheers!

--
PEB