Re: incorrect Homepage fields in r-cran-* packages?

On 12 November 2022 at 09:12, Johannes Ranke wrote:
| Hello,
|
| this form [1] is the canonical form of the package URL for any CRAN package,
| as requested by the R Core team [2]. It is implicitly defined by the name of
| the package, so it does not have to be defined in the DESCRIPTION file.

Exactly correct. Moreover when you go to any package's _CRAN_ as opposed to
upstream source repo you see on the rendered package (here taking digest just
because we had it for so long) at the very bottom

  Linking:

  Please use the canonical form https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=digest to
  link to this page.

which is how I got to the page even if it then renders as

  https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/digest/index.html

which is not unlike our BTS or package pages. Now that package (of mine)
lists

  URL:	https://github.com/eddelbuettel/digest, http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/code/digest.html

because one _can_ (but is not required) list repo info under URL as
well. Sadly not all CRAN packages do.  CRAN precedes git (and svn !!) by
years so DVCS were not a thing and imposing change on 18k packages is hard.

Dirk

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org