Re: Preparing the Release / Freezing potato

Martin Schulze wrote:
>  . Our boot-floppies are not ready yet.  Freezing the distribution
>    without working boot-floppies will extend the freeze time which
>    would be a very bad idea.  Adam di Carlo today told me that he
>    doesn't believe that our boot-floppies will be read before
>    January.  (Since I haven't been able to work on them I can't say
>    anything about that.)

We've already done successful (nfs!) installs with the potato boot floppies,
though there are of course glitches.

>  . I still haven't seen an announcement what to do with the FHS
>    transition

This is going to be in the next version of policy, which Julian Gilbey is
working on now. It simply includes the Tech Ctte's decision.

> Therefore I propose to postpone the freeze (and the release) for at
> least two months, hoping to get the FHS issue, Incoming and
> boot-floppies resolved.

I would much rather go to a slushy freeze now and make it a more solid
freeze when some of these issues have had time to be worked on more.
Delaying the freeze is just going to let other issues develop.

--
see shy jo